ArchPwn 2.0-RC1 released

Reactions: 0 pingback - 20 comments - 6 votes

Today we've released the first release candidate for 2.0 cycle. We'd like to ask everyone to boot it and give feedback. There are lot of additions and changes since the 1.0 release, that dates back to March 2, 2009.

Take care that this ISO image is a minified version of archpwn, that fits on a standard CD. We're currently working on the full version that adds more tools and features but that could be burned only on a DVD or booted from a USB stick.

If you need help with installation or boot process join us at #archpwn (freenode.org). If you find a bug please check the Github issue tracker and report a new bug if you've found a new issue.

You could download the image from the download page of the project.

Interesting changes

• 2.6.34.2 kernel
  • Gnome has taken place of KDE
  • Fluxbox and Awesome window managers (with customizations)
  • virtualbox and vmware modules
  • About 300 security tools selected for you pure pleasure
  • All tools are linked in /pentest directory for a better organization
  • And of course, a new shiny logo :)

Full changes are avaiable from here. Happy pwning at all! :)

Tags: ArchPwn Project Release on Aug. 6, 2010, 1:05 p.m.
jack March 24, 2011, 10:29 a.m. #
just found your ArchPwn from Google Ad.
seems great. will try.
how can i submit new tools?
thankx
nopper March 27, 2011, 9:18 p.m. #
You can contribute to our project by using github. Just fork the project and make a pull request!
Chilampa April 3, 2011, 2:11 a.m. #
Hey ArchPwn is cool!
Grant Stone May 22, 2011, 8:22 a.m. #
Looove Arch Linux. Love the Gnome DE. Love pentest/security distros. You've managed to package my top 3 Linux preferences into one disk. I feel like I just opened a present Christmas morning I had been waiting for since February of the previous year. However, every time I burn it to a disk and try to boot, my screen goes black and nothing happens - including the disk stops spinning eventually. Any ideas?
Grant Stone May 22, 2011, 8:33 a.m. #
Oh yeah, also, any ETA for the final? I couldn't find a roadmap or anything of the sort.
nopper May 22, 2011, 2:21 p.m. #
Hi Grant,

It is a real pleasure to hear this from you. Thanks for the interest! :)

Regarding your problem I suppose you are trying to run archpwn with an ATI or Intel card. There is a section in the official wiki page dealing with this known bug http://www.archpwn.org/wiki/Known_Bugs I will try to fix the problem in the next release.

Actually I've no plan for the final but for sure in September I will produce a new version targeting gnome3 and with a lot of new tools (I have already prepared a list of new stuff to add). The only problem is that I am the only developer taking care of every single detail and I am currently a university student so you can understand that I don't have so much time to dedicate to the project.
F. May 22, 2011, 3:12 p.m. #
I'm waiting for the new version! Good job! :D
Grant Stone May 22, 2011, 7:13 p.m. #
No final for 2.0 before moving on? :O I have a feeling if you switch to Gnome3 you'll lose a lot of users. Just like every other distro switching to Gnome3. A lot of users will either be looking for how to downgrade to 2.x or switch to a different distro all together. It makes people feel like they're using one of their old Playskool laptops from when they were 5. It treats the user like they've never been introduced to Linux before - not something a lot of Arch users will like - as most of us are pretty technologically savvy. ^_^ IMHO, I believe Gnome3 should have been developed for novice distros like Ubuntu (and Unity never developed at all). Beginners need simplicity and giant icon pictures. Veterans - need robusness. Also, much thanks for pointing me to the known bugs. I didn't see that at first. Works like a charm now. :)
nopper May 22, 2011, 7:45 p.m. #
I understand your point but now archlinux is targeting gnome3 (it is already in extra/ repo) and I don't have enough time to maintain a separate branch for gnome2 which will not be supported anymore in the future. By the way if you think about, the fallback mode of gnome3 is practically the same of gnome2. It offers the same functionalities so probably I will end up by adding the possibility to choose this option (standard gnome-panel) instead the new gnome-shell window manager.

We will see.. probably I will also add a decent configuration for enlightenment.

Regarding your problem I am happy that you have managed to solve it ;)
Grant Stone May 22, 2011, 7:57 p.m. #
Ah, I was unaware Arch was already ready to switch to it - I was under the impression (from an article I read from Gnome) that 3 wasn't solid and had many, many bugs still so they weren't going to release it for use for at least another 6 months or so, but that it would be available for beta/alpha testing and such.

I think the fallback option would be a nice add. And Enlightenment is incredible - like openbox on steriods. xD

Regarding my problem: I am happy that YOU have managed to solve it. =P
Robert June 16, 2011, 5:20 p.m. #
I have just switched over to Arch on one of my laptops and love it. I have a desktop that I have switched to arch and gnome for the desktop manager and gnome3 sucks, I went with Xfce on my laptop and it works great, going to stick with that. May switch my desktop to xfce later. It is definitly better then gnome3 hands down. I am downloading this right now and will check it out, as I have another laptop that I use for pentesting right now running BT5 and am not impressed with that.
p0rg July 4, 2011, 9:46 a.m. #
Hey, I'm dying to use this distro. Could you please fix the issue with the black screen during boot up?

Thank you.
nopper July 4, 2011, 10:27 a.m. #
Well the problem and the relative solution is already in the known-bugs section of the official site (http://www.archpwn.org/wiki/Known_Bugs). By the way the situation will be fixed in the next release.
p0rg July 4, 2011, 8:47 p.m. #
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking forward to using this distribution.
Matt Sept. 1, 2011, 2:27 p.m. #
Sounds interesting to me... looking forward to the next release :>
If there is a beta, please let me know.
kesmikcuz Dec. 16, 2011, 12:44 p.m. #

I would first like to say that ArchPwn is now by far my favorite distro despite the fact that it is relatively new. I will offer my feedback below but keep in mind that I have not tried 2.0RC yet (but I've looked at the package list) because I only had one cd left when I discovered ArchPwn and I chose to burn the stable 1.0 over the RC. I promise to test 2.0RC once I make a Wal-Mart run [=

Some things I love (no order):
-arch (duh)
-so many choices (eg. text editors: emacs/vim/nano/mcedit/...)
-all the programming tools in addition to just pentesting stuff
-mcedit (leaned about it b/c of ArchPwn; now my favorite user-frietdly editor instead of nano)
-choice of copy2ram on the heavier desktop
-awesome3 (though I haven't gotten a chance to try it on ArchPwn yet)
-automounting all /dev/* to /mnt/* is PERFECT!!!!
-mrxvt
-recordmydesktop
-audacious(!!)
-htop(!!) and top
-gwenview

Some things I think you should consider adding/changing (from most to least important):
-opera browser (add/fix please!)
-markdown
-w3m (replace lynx ihmo)
-terminator (add as alt terminal emulator)
-dmenu (and default bind to Alt+F3 ala {Crunch-/Arch-}Bang
-abiword
-sgt-puzzles
-aoeui (also comes with asdfg for qwerty users)
-irssi
-youtube-dl
-medit
-qiv (just a personal preference for viewing single images)
-mcomix (okay, okay, maybe I don't NEED to read manga in a pentest distro)

Thoughts on DE/WM (no order):
-I actually like Gnome3 when I'm in public to kinda "show off" GNU/Linux
-Great(!!) idea about fallback mode for Gnome3 to quasi-Gnome2
-awesome3 is my favorite wm by far; thanks for supporting it in ArchPwn!!
-I tend to stay away from KDE unless absolutely required, so I support your decision to migrate to Gnome

Issues I've had so far (chronologically):
-Intel Gfx card issue (quickly solved by your wiki)
-wlan0 not detected and "nl80211 not found." error thrown... I've gotten and fixed this error before in other systems; darn my poor memory
-aircrack-ng with -a 2 -r switches gave me an error about sqlite, but I'd never used aircrack-ng before so it was probably just me -- I was trying to crack my parents' WPA2 rather than walking 10m to the router (Which is to be expected of me when I discover such an awesome pentesting distro, hehe)

I would love to help in any way I can. My humble technical experience:
-8 years C++
-5 years basic hardware stuffs for desktops
-4 years java
-3 years GNU/Linux (12 years wasted on m$)
-2.5 years in TTY (I can live there, really)
-2 years dvorak (just saying; not that it matters or anything)
-1 year distro testing
-half a year on arch
-a month html (Enough to edit wikis -- May I contribute to your how-to pages?)
-2 days on ArchPwn and loving it!
-4 hours reading and re-reading aircrack-ng suite manpages

I'm taking this spring semester off college -- I'll have time to test software and edit wikis if you can use me.

My email: kesmikcuz(at)gmail(dot)com
Freenode IRC nick: kesmikcuz

I look forward to the next release!

nopper Dec. 17, 2011, 2:11 p.m. #
@kesmikcuz Sorry for being late in replying to you I am quiet busy these days. I am glad to see that someone appreciate my effort here :) so thanks for the comment. Regarding the changes you suggested some tools such as terminator and abiword (if i remember correctly) are already in the 2.0RC1 release others of course are not yet. So here's the point. If you want to contribute you're welcome to do it. The entire repository of archpwn can be found on github. So you're encouraged to fork me and send me a pull request. I will be glad to merge any useful changes you made. I currently don't have time to invest in the project so probably the 3.0 release will be delayed a bit sorry for that!
Shane July 17, 2012, 6:22 a.m. #
This is awesome and I can not wait to try it!
root Sept. 2, 2012, 11:26 p.m. #

Hi,

The root/toor sequence is not working at login?

sinc,
pacafic seal Sept. 3, 2012, 12:09 p.m. #

Great work, I was utilising security onion which is quite good but i have looked at this security version of arch linux similar to BT, this one looks impressive. There were problems with startx X server. Kernel should be upgraded with proper modeset patching.